Susten Pass from mid June?

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Callum
(@callumchurchill2)
Topic starter

Hello! 

I am planning a cycle route from Strasbourg to Sète to visit some friends. 

I thought I would take this opportunity to do the Susten Pass. However due to timing I will need to go around mid June time, I will probably arrive at Wassen around the 16th June. Is this a good time to do the Pass and cycle in Switzerland more generally? I will enter Switzerland at Koblenz, then take a fairly direct route to Wassen. I plan to camp when possible and stay in B&B/hotels. 

Many thanks in advance! 

This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by callumchurchill2

Posted : 06/03/2023 6:07 pm
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)

Hi Callum,

The passes usually open end of May or Start of June depending on how much snow there was during the winter. Based on how this winter has been so far it's probably a safe bet that Susten will be open mid June. 

There will be campsites open along the way, but above the treeline if you get a bit out of the way wild camping would also be possible. There are plenty of small hotels on the route too so it shouldn't be a bit issue. 

Regards

Dave

A sociable outdoor sports freak who enjoys getting out on the mountains and lakes as often as possible.

Posted : 06/03/2023 7:11 pm
Callum
(@callumchurchill2)
Topic starter

Brilliant, thanks @dave . That has certainly made me a little more confident. I had read it would not be open until May and worried it may not be passable, and if it were how safe that journey would be! Really excited to visit Switzerland!

Posted : 07/03/2023 1:31 pm
Share: