Clear all

Bikepacking/MTB multi day adventure

9 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
Szabolcs
(@r3drock)
Topic starter

Hi fellow MTB-ers! I am thinking to organize this year (2022) some 2-3 day rides where ride trails during the day, but we sleep in the mountains during the night. This could be huts or doing light bikepacking where we are sleeping in tents above the treeline and the next day we ride some trails again.

An example for a 2 day ride would be riding from Lenzerheide (Parpaner Rothorn) to Arosa, sleep at Ramozhutte at Welschtobel valley and riding back the next day.

I want to see if there is any interest in such adventures. Please let me know if you would be interested and your opinion about such activity. 

Cheers

Szabi

Posted : 18/01/2022 8:33 pm
Dave reacted
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)

Cool idea @r3drock,

When are you thinking of doing it? July, August?

A sociable outdoor sports freak who enjoys getting out on the mountains and lakes as often as possible.

Posted : 18/01/2022 9:10 pm
Szabolcs
(@r3drock)
Topic starter

@dave yes, around 2nd part of summer or early autumn

Posted : 18/01/2022 9:13 pm
Dave reacted
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)

If you stay in a hut you could also do Kesch Hut, Albert Heim Hut or Cabane Bec de Bossons. There are so many options... 

A bivvy option could also be cool. 

A sociable outdoor sports freak who enjoys getting out on the mountains and lakes as often as possible.

Posted : 18/01/2022 9:19 pm
r3drock reacted
Szabolcs
(@r3drock)
Topic starter

@dave I will ask you then for recommendations for trails 🙂

Posted : 18/01/2022 9:59 pm
AB
 AB
(@piksinis)

Even if I. have no experience in (MTB)bikepacking and no equipment at all, it would definitely be cool to try 2-3 days to see how it works and etc.

Jar Jar Binks

Posted : 23/01/2022 1:30 pm
Szabolcs
(@r3drock)
Topic starter

@piksinis this kind of events would be also good to share some knowledge about bikepacking.

Posted : 23/01/2022 6:25 pm
AB reacted
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)

Posted by: @r3drock

@piksinis this kind of events would be also good to share some knowledge about bikepacking.

This is a cool idea. I've only done it once or twice, but it was pretty cool camping out wild with the bike. A knowledge pool is something that others could definitely benefit from I would imagine.

Posted : 23/01/2022 7:55 pm
Iain
 Iain
(@iain)

Hi Szabi

Great idea. After 20 years of multi day (also multi month) ‘bikepacking’ and mountain biking, here are my thoughts…

Personally, I like to differentiate between mountain biking and bikepacking / cycle touring. I enjoy riding techy (and less techy) trails and for me the enjoyment of actual mountain biking is somewhat reduced if my bike is full of bags. I find any weight on the bars from some bag is particularly annoying as it really affects the steering and bike handling. Therefore, when I do multi day mountain bike rides, I like to stay in huts / pensions / hotels where I do not need to take much stuff. In fact, my small rucksack needed for a 10 day transalp in summer weighs under 3.5kg which is barely more than what it would on a single high mountain biking day. Thereby you remain light, agile and able to fully throw the bike around.

On the other hand, like you, I also like sleeping outdoors. For such trips I take a lightweight tent, mat, sleeping bag and usually a stove too for cooking some basic meals and a cup of tea. On top of other kit, I then inherently have more weight. This just gets packed in panniers on my rack and is neatly out of the way. On such trips however I am more on lanes, quiet roads, gravel or trails of type S0 or S1….which is not really for me ‘mountain biking’.

Luckily though there are no hard and fast rules, so any combination is possible and if you have a great trip it doesn’t really matter ?

Definitely interested to hear what you plan…

Iain

P.S Having written this I think we need a new thread on cycle touring vs bikepacking....

Posted : 22/02/2022 2:01 pm
Share: